SAUTENS –> Kreuzkapelle –> Sautner Forchet –> Ötzbruck –> Roppen –> Innüberquerung –> Schlierenzau –> Haiming/Magerbach –> Apfelmeile –> Haiming –> ÖTZTAL BAHNHOF
APPLE TREES IN THE GARDEN EDEN
Sautens comprises several hamlets which are connected through a long row of houses, forming the village center. At the end of Dorfstraße in Sautens you will find the limekiln, where lime was burnt again in 2004 (after a 75-year break). Since then regular events presented by the community have taken place. In the 1920s, up to 15 limekilns were in operation. The limestone was considered a versatile building material. The long-distance trail takes you past the limekiln and towards dense forest areas, small villages and the green river Inn. It travels through marvelous meadows, fields and forests along the Pilgrimage Route of St. James, following the more than 500 km long tributary of the river Danube.
For many centuries Haiming has been known as a fruit growing area. The wonderful Apple Mile gives an insight into the cultivation of apple trees and also invites you to take a rest. Every year in autumn, the popular Haiming Market Days are scheduled - where freshly harvested products are on sale. After a few meters you reach Ötztal Bahnhof again, the start and finish of the long distance hiking trail.
Urweg Tip: Apfelmeile Haiming
Kurz nach der Unterführung vor Magerbach führt der Weg links weg Richtung Haiminger Apfelmeile. Um dort hinzu kommen wandert man dem Weg folgend parallel zur Autobahn der Bergseite entlang Richtung Inntal. Nach einer Weile steigt man ab zu den vielen Obstbäumen von Haiming und wandert in der Runde durch das sonnige Trockengebiet des Inntals wieder retour bis Magerbach vorbei an der Geierwand, das Paradies für Kletterbegeisterte.
Surefootedness, a good physical shape, stamina
No major difficulties
Tips and hints
Did you know that…
… about 10 million apples are stored in the huge Haiming Fruit Storage, and that only 25 farmers work on a cultivated area of 60 hectares with 180,000 fruit trees in the village of Haiming?
More details about hiking In Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/wandern
Getting thereSautens is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingThe following parking facilities are available in Sautens:
- directly in front of the town hall - for free of charge
- right after the big bridge right on the big gravel parking lot - for free
- at the sports field / cross chapel / experience Kalkofen as - for free
- in front of the elementary school / kindergarten, Kirchblickweg - for free
EquipmentStandard hiking equipment, sturdy hiking boots
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.